13 Apr Case Study: Addressing Workplace Requirements in the COVID-19 Environment
Posted at 17:00h in Case Study
- Amherst’s Restructuring Advisory group is currently engaged to assist a manufacturing operation (“the Company”) that has been experiencing significant financial challenges for some time. The Company produces components used in the production of over-the-road trucks, and is designated as an “Essential Business”. As a result, operations are on-going today despite the broader business restrictions imposed as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- As with almost every business that intends to operate in the post-COVID-19 environment, the Company found itself faced with the challenge of reconfiguring its manufacturing and administrative processes in order to comply with physical distancing and hygiene guidelines established by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and ensure employee safety.
- While addressing the need to improve production efficiency in order to bolster financial results, the Amherst team simultaneously addressed employee safety concerns and related compliance with CDC guidelines. Production cells were reconfigured to enhance efficiency and ensure adequate distancing of employees. Work- flows were modified to reduce the handling of parts between machines and automate the movement of finished goods into shipping containers.
- Prior to Amherst’s involvement, producing the average requirements of a customer’s release took almost 11 days. As a result of our process improvement efforts, manufacturing the same release quantity is accomplished in just over 5 days. Machine cycle time was reduced by 50%, and average shift productivity improved by 70%.
- The Company has been able to meet its manufacturing requirements without interruption related to COVID-19 illness. Employees take comfort working in a safe environment with appropriate physical distancing and hygiene precautions.
- In many respects, this engagement serves as a template for meeting the challenges that business owners will face in the months and years to come. Amherst’s professionals represent a critical resource, with the depth of experience and proven results to help in meeting those challenges.